Irish Soda Bread is so simple to made it not even funny! It actually idiot proof to be honest. There is no yeast or anything fussy like that. But don’t let how simple it is to make fool, it’s so delicious and perfect with soup!
Ingredients – 1 loaf
- 225 g/8 oz Spelt Wholemeal Flour
- 175 g/6 oz. Plain Flour (spelt if have it)
- 50 g/2 oz. Pinhead Oatmeal
- Pinch of salt
- 1 level teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 250-300 ml/1/2 pint Buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- Handful of raisins (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon, Nutmeg (optional).
- Preheat oven to 180 oC/350 oF/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 900 g /2 lb loaf tin.
- Sieve the spelt wholemeal flour, plain flour, bicarbonate of soda, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and salt into a large bowl. Add the pinhead oatmeal, raisin, and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk, egg and sunflower oil to the dry ingredients and mix to a soft dough.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake of 50 minutes until golden, and the bread sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and allow to cook (this is important otherwise your crush of your bread can become hard.)