Whoopies Pies are just such a wonderful, simply delicious miniature cake. These are really moist, like tiny little brown with butter-cream. What not to like about the heavenly creatures. Anything bit size away taste better.
These are great for party, house warming, pot luck, as quick easy to transport and can be done in advance. They also loo great! So they make a great present for some special or even a friend if your broke and don’t have alot of money!
Ingredients- 22 Whoopie pies
- 125 g/4½ oz/ ½ cup butter
- 150 g/5 oz/¾ cup dark chocolate, chopped (~70% cocoa solids)
- 225 g/8 oz/ 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 g/9 oz/ 2½ cups plain flour
- 30 g/ 1 oz/ ¼ cup cocoa power
- ½ baking power
- 140 g/5 oz butter softened
- 280 g/ 10 oz icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 160 oC (140 oC Fan), 325F, Gas 3 . Line 3 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.Melt the chocolate and butter in a heat proof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
- In an bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together.
- Gently fold in your chocolate mixture. Tip:Make sure your not adding the egg mixture to the warm chocolate! As it may cook your eggs and you will end up with scrambled eggs.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking power together. Than add to the chocolate mixture.
- Place tablespoon of the mixture onto the baking trays and bake for 8-10 mins or until firm to the touch. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Beat the butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla until well combined.
- Match-up the whoopies pie with similar size ones. Either, spread the flat side of the sponge with a generous amount of the butter-cream icing. I have piped the butter-cream icing onto mine, as I find it easier. Just remember to leave some space around the edge, for the fill to spread-out when you sandwich the two whoopies together. The piping gave a clean edge as well I think.
- Tip: Butter-cream icing can be frozen, just remember to thaw it day before you need it. Serve and enjoy!