If you are anything like me, you never know when you get the craving for some cake! While was home one night with a craving for cake but not an urge to go grocery shopping. I was flicking though the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. I love smitten Kitchen, she is such an amazing cook and this is such an easy recipes.If, again, like me you horde cooking items, you probably have everything in the house to make this except perhaps the fruit and maybe the cream….!
Ingredients, Serves 10-12
- 115g butter, plus more for pan,
- 115g dark chocolate (minimum 70 percentage cocoa solids)
- 3 large eggs-separated
- 45g light brown sugar,
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- ¼teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch or ground cinnamon (optional)
- 120g single cream
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C (Fan)/Gas 4. Line a 15 cm round springform tin with parchment and butter the side and parchment. In a small saucepan melt and butter over a medium heat.Quickly remove for the heat and stir in the chocolate until melted and smooth. Cool the chocolate mixture.
- With an electric mixer beat the egg yolk, brown sugar and vanilla together until the mixture thickens
- Slowly beat in the chocolate mixture. The mixture will become very thick at this stage but do not worry.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white and salt until firm peaks form. Add a pinch of cinnamon.
- Stir one-third of the egg-white mixture into the chocolate mixture. Fold the remaining two-third in gently. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until a tester or skewer come out clean.
- Let cool in the rack for 10 minutes. Than run a knife around the cake and release the springform side. Let it cool the rest of the way on the base. Once cooled flip onto second plate or rack and removed the parchment.
- To server, whipping the cream with the granulated sugar until soft peak form. Dust the cake with icing sugar, place a dollop of cream and strawberry in the middle. Serve and enjoy.