Whoopie pie are these amazing cream fill sponge sandwich from the USA. They come in every size, shape, shade and flavour sandwich together with sweet cream filling. These are pretty simple to make but look amazing, great for impressing someone!
Some Red Velvet sponge can be really heavy but this one os lovely and light. The white chocolate filling is to die for! They are great why finish off a Valentines dinner for a loved one! A word of warning they will keep for a day in advance but any longer than that I’m not sure how the cream will affect the sponge.
As these are the perfect treat for a loved one I’m entering these into Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and co-hosted by Laura from Laura loves Cakes,the theme for February is Oh L’amour!.
I’m also entering them into Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi and co-hosted by Kat from the Baking Explorer as the theme for February is Loved Ones.
Ingredients – make 12 pies
- 125g/4.5 oz unsalted butter
- 175g/6 oz castor sugar
- 1 eggs
- 300g/11oz plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate od soda
- 25g/1 oz cocoa power
- 250ml/9 fl. oz buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of red dye paste
For the Filling
- 300ml /10.1 fl. oz cream
- 75g/2.6 oz white chocolate
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Take your cream from the fridge and whip the cream until you get stiff peaks. Melt the white chocolate by place it in a heat proof bowl over a pan of hot water (make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water). Once melted, leave to cool slightly, than stir into the cream mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/160°C (fan oven)/350F/Gas mark 4 and line 3 large tray with greaseproof paper.Mix the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs until blended.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, and salt together in bowl. Add this mixture gradually to the mixture.
- Add the cocoa power and red dye paste to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Drop a tablespoon of the mixture on the baking tray. Keep them far apart of this mixture will spread as it cooks!!
- Bake of 10-15 minutes until the sponge are springy to the touch. Cool the sponge halves on the baking tray for a few minutes, than carefully transfer the a wire rack to cool completely.
- Spread the flat side of the sponge with a generous amount of the cream filling , than place another sponge flat side down on top of the filling and press both halves together. Serve and Enjoy!